Saturday, November 05, 2005

What Does Carter Say?

| Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

 
– Former President Jimmy Carter says he has written a book critical of the Bush administration "with some hesitation and trepidation."

Not much hesitancy was on view Thursday morning, however, when the 39th president met reporters for a Monitor-sponsored breakfast. Among his charges: Members of the Bush team "decided to go to war against Iraq long before George Bush was elected."

 
Jimmy Carter admits that he is a better ex-president than he was a president. I will take him at his word, because he has never told me one lie, of which I am aware.
 
All I know, is that when I have been too busy with my own affairs to pay constant attention to national and international affairs, I pay attention when Carter speaks.
 
I cannot say that about any other, living ex-president in my life time.
 
There have been quite a few, in addition to Jimmy, from Plains, Georgia:
Truman, Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton.
 
That is not to say that I do not listen, if I happen to turn on the news or C-Span and one of the current ex-presidents happens to be saying something. I usually do. I don't always finish listening, nor do I actively seek to hear what they have to say.
 
But it is different with Carter. While I gather information on whatever bomb has just been set off in my deeply Independent American conscious, I wait for him to speak.
 
What will Jimmy say about all this, I wonder, even as I begin forming my own opinion.
 
I get an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach, I feel tears burning behind my eyes, when I think of a time when I will wait in vain.
 
Take care of yourself Jimmy. We need you.
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home