Monday, December 12, 2005

News Analysis: Jumping the Shark

This, from the Democrat National Committee:

"That instant you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it jumping the shark." -- jumptheshark.com

Borrowing a phrase coined on the Internet to describe when a television series has publicly and painfully tanked, we offer the DNC's political version of "Jumping the Shark." Our version will recount the "episodes" that make it clear the lame duck Bush Administration has jumped the shark.

Washington, DC - Yesterday, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan finally acknowledged that mistakes were made in Iraq. Sadly, he quickly reverted back to the Bush Administration’s policy of failing to take responsibility for its actions by refusing to name a single mistake. America can do better than the head-in-the-sand style of governing that has left our nation and our troops more vulnerable.

Yesterday, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan Said Mistakes Were Made In Iraq -- But He Couldn't Name Any.

REPORTER: So will you state from that podium that this administration has made mistakes in pursuing this war?

MR. McCLELLAN: In pursuing this war?

REPORTER: In prosecuting --

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I mean, the President talked about how we'd learned from experience, and he said, as Senator Lieberman said, that we've made mistakes, and he said he's right. And so, yes. I mean, but in terms of making judgments about what those are, I don't think you can judge that at this time. [White House Press Briefing, 12/7/05]

Sound Familiar?

REPORTER: ... After 9/11, what would your biggest mistake be, would you say, and what lessons have you learned from it?

THE PRESIDENT: I wish you would have given me this written question ahead of time, so I could plan for it. ... You know, I just -- I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet. ... I hope I -- I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one. [Presidential Press Conference, 4/13/04]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home